Everyone loves a good caesar salad. It’s all about the garlic, the parmesan, the crisp romaine lettuce, and crunchy garlicky croutons.
- 4 slices bread, crusts trimmed and cut in to cubes
- ½ cup, plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- Salt and lots of ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 12 cups kale, washed and chopped
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1To make the croutons: Preheat oven to 230 C. Trim crusts from bread and cut bread in to cubes. In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic, and lots of ground pepper. Place bread cubes in bowl, and using hands, toss in olive oil mixture until well coated. Spread bread cubes on a foil lined baking sheet and bake in oven for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- 2To make the dressing: In a blender, combine lemon juice, egg yolks, 1 clove of garlic and mustard, and blend for approximately 30 seconds or until smooth. While the blender is running, add the olive oil slowly until it is emulsified. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate the dressing unless using it right away.
- 3To assemble salad: Place chopped kale in a salad bowl. Pour dressing on top, then add parmesan cheese and toss until kale is well coated with dressing and cheese.
- 4To serve: Divide salad on to 4 plates, then top with crutons and fresh ground pepper.